Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Tech Fluency

Greetings and hello.

While many of you have been using Windows machines quite successfully, I have been on the Mac platform for something like 6-7 years.  That changed today when (thank you Matt Brittenham) a Windows machine was connected to our SMARTBoard.  With only a little time to adjust, I found my brain working in ways that I didn't quite expect for the remainder of the day.  It was challenging but invigorating as well.  It made me think of our students who are being asked to be literate in many different areas throughout the day: language, different classrooms, different learning environments, and of course, different technologies.  It's a lot to ask!

One thing that the new desktop has forced me to think about is how to convert to cloud computing or shared resources.  If I work at home but need files transferred to the desktop, I am going to have to start using a variety of new platforms to insure that there is a seamless transition of materials, plans, websites, etc.

Two platforms that I plan to start using in earnest are Diigo and Dropbox.  Both of these web-based applications will allow me to work remotely but share materials between machines.  Check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment